Welcome, dear friends! Here you will find an assortment of snippets and reflections ... and hopefully some encouraging quotes from people like John Piper and C.S. Lewis and ... most of all ... the Scriptures. :-) Leave a comment if you'd like - I would love to hear from you! Have a GREAT day.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Last night at prayer our ministry leader shared a story that really grabbed me.

In the early days of GFA, our ministry was supporting native missionaries who were already there, but not yet actively training more laborers for the harvest in Asia. Well, God really put it on the heart of K.P. Yohannan to believe Him for a Bible college in India. And ... he heard about a set of washer machines for sale in the paper and decided to buy them, in faith that there would one day be a training center ... and those washing machines would be there, washing clothes. [Editors note:They are very unique and not at all like your typical washing machines today ... I would try to describe them but would probably do a really bad job of it. :oD]

So there they sat in his garage ... UNTIL God laid it on the heart of a man here in the West to call GFA and see if we had a pressing need. He and his wife lived simply, but had received a one million dollar inheritance from her side of the family, and wanted to give ALL of it to GFA!

K.P. was really moved by this gesture, and wanted to take the matter before the Lord before giving an answer. So he prayed about it and felt that at that time God only wanted GFA to take enough money for the one building for the training center. This was considerably less than the million dollar amount.

He trusted God to provide for other ministry needs. Well, the man took the remainder of the inheritance, invested it, and decided to give several million to GFA since then, over the course of a number of years!

Hearing this story gave me much hope and encouraged me that I can continue to be patient and trust God to provide for something in my own life. Surrender, hope, rest, patience. These are things God has been speaking to me about lately.

BTW, those two washing machines? They are still in that training center today, washing clothes. In fact, I saw them when I was in India, and my clothes were washed in them. :o) And they--and the thousands of men and women who have now graduated from GFA's 54 Bible colleges and gone on to share the Good News in the 10/40 Window--serve as a visible testimony to the abundant provision of our ever-faithful God.

P.S. It was a good day at work and passed by quickly as I worked more on projects. I will need to work on them some more tonight, but I don't mind. I'm really hoping they'll all come together by sometime tomorrow. I love the stuff I'm getting to write about ... it's about exciting things going on among the Mising tribe. Soon I'll try to post some more about that. Just on a day when I'm less busy and haven't practically posted the contents of a book already. ;o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an incredible story. What other places have you been to on the mission field besides India? I have been to Mexico about 5 times on mission trips and I went on another in College to the Philippines.--Wes

Nicole said...

that's a cool story!

Miss you! My parents will be here this weekend, so I won't be able to talk, but maybe we can catch up next weekend!