Welcome, dear friends! Here you will find an assortment of snippets and reflections ... and hopefully some encouraging quotes from people like John Piper and C.S. Lewis and ... most of all ... the Scriptures. :-) Leave a comment if you'd like - I would love to hear from you! Have a GREAT day.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

An Ode to the Little Things in Life that Are Really the Big Things

Windchimes with little pewter butterflies.
Last night around 10:30 P.M. after eagerly gulping down an oven-roasted chicken salad--my supper--I went to Walgreens to check out the "free with mail-in rebate" scene and, on a whim, decided to buy some windchimes. [You might wonder, and rightly so, what I was doing eating supper at this unearthly hour! Well, you will find out later if you keep reading. :oD] They are cute and at only $1.99, much cheaper than ones I'd seen in the stores before.

When I got home with them and hung them up on my upstairs balcony, I got to wondering if they were the same as my next door neighbors. [They're not, it turns out.] Not that it would matter.

I like my next door neighbor.

And I like my blue metallic and silver pewter windchimes.

A package of M and M's.
I promised you I would tell you why I was eating at 10:30 last night. Okay, here goes. I left the office at 6 p.m., headed over to church for the mid-week service. I was intending to stop and eat something at a fast-food type restaurant along the way, and musing in my head (and with my very hungry stomach!) where might be good to go. Long story made short, all my plans came to naught, as I had forgotten my money AND credit cards at home that morning. So anyhow, when I got to the church I casually remarked to a nice acquaintance in the restroom that I was starving and hadn't eaten. Much to my surprise (and delight!) she promptly produced a package of M and M's that had been at the bottom of her purse for a while. "These are a God-send," I told her. :o)

A crockpot filled with scrumptuous cranberry chicken.
Okay, so mine isn't YET, but (by faith) tomorrow or this weekend it WILL be. :o) Found this great recipe in "101 Things to do with a Slowcooker." But alas, the recipe didn't indicate whether the chicken should be raw or cooked to go into the crockpot. My assumption would have been raw, since it would have ample time and more to get done, but I noticed other recipes that called for cooked chicken. So I asked my mom about it. She agrees I should try it with the raw chicken. I love having a mom I can call at anytime about the little delicacies of life, like chicken and crockpots. :o) The amazing thing is that she just about always has the answer, too.

It's the little things that mean so much.

No comments: