Welcome, dear friends! Here you will find an assortment of snippets and reflections ... and hopefully some encouraging quotes from people like John Piper and C.S. Lewis and ... most of all ... the Scriptures. :-) Leave a comment if you'd like - I would love to hear from you! Have a GREAT day.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jesus is everything ...

This morning in my Bible fellowship class at church, I received a very timely reminder. I was so excited as I wrote down some of the truths the teacher was sharing, truths that felt so applicable to my life right now.

I realize I have so much to be grateful for ... so many blessings in my life and God has been so good to me ... I just somehow have found myself over these past several days feeling unusually tired ... a bit overwhelmed ... discouraged. I know we all have days that are more challenging than others ... I would say these last several days have been some of the most challenging I've experienced for some time ... and not sure totally why? I guess I have, for one thing, had a lot on my plate lately ... but I can trust that the Lord will not give me more than I can handle! And we're told in God's Word, in 1 Peter 4:12,13, not to be surprised at hard days .... that we will experience those in our lives, and also that we can rejoice in getting to (in a very small way at least) share in Christ's sufferings.

And my teacher this morning brought out some awesome truths ... definitely timely reminders for me. He talked about the Apostle Paul and how His attitude toward suffering was, "If it makes me more like Jesus, bring it on!" He reminded us that Paul's all-consuming passion was knowing Jesus ... and if suffering brought Him closer to Jesus, He rejoiced in it. (Romans 8:16,17; Philippians 3, verses 10 and following) He also talked about how some of Paul's very last words to Timothy were about the Gospel. The Gospel, he reminded us, is not just for our salvation ... it is ALSO for the trials we face in our day to day lives ...

The Gospel--that Jesus Christ would die an excruciating death of the Cross to pay for our sins--forever settles God's love for us. And this love is fixed and constant. Whatever trials we go through in life fade away when looked at against the backdrop of the Cross.

Praise the Lord ... I find that when I'm reminded that Jesus is everything, I am given a whole new perspective that encourages me, regardless of how overwhelmed I may feel or what may be going on around me. I am grateful.

No comments: