Welcome, dear friends! Here you will find an assortment of snippets and reflections ... and hopefully some encouraging quotes from people like John Piper and C.S. Lewis and ... most of all ... the Scriptures. :-) Leave a comment if you'd like - I would love to hear from you! Have a GREAT day.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Proverbs, Piper and Pain

So my Facebook status around 2:30 this afternoon read:

" ... fixing to have dental work done ... pray for as quick and painless as possible :)"

I am notably a big sissy when it comes to physical pain ... and so of course I went to the dentist today with at least a bit of trepidation. As I wrote that hurried status update and prayer request, though, I had to inwardly smile, as I thought of how God has been using pain in a really special way lately to draw me closer to Jesus.

I am truly so grateful ... I would not in my natural person, my comfort-seeking flesh, choose beforehand to go through trials. Yet I can already see the beauty of Jesus in this particular one ... I have truly been drawn so close to His side through the hardship and pain. And that which draws me nearer to the heart of Jesus is truly a friend and a welcome gift ... even if hard at times in a temporal, earthly sense.

Some highlights of this past weekend ...

On Friday evening, my friend Ann and I joined a bunch of girls from my church to go see a chick flick ... we filled pretty much a whole row in the theater! :) That was fun ... and it was the cutest movie, too, that I've seen in a while! Then Ann and I went to Chili's and had a great time talking and laughing together. :)

Saturday evening I was able to get together with another group of friends from church. It was so funny, 'cuz originally we were going to play Balderdesh, which I'd brought over. However, we ended up instead just talking for a while about the things of the Lord. So what we ended up doing was so much better than even Balderdash, my favorite game. :-D It was wonderful and refreshing, and one of my friends loaned me a John Piper book about desiring God and finding joy in Him. Such a good book ... and I have been getting so much out of it over these past few days, as well as from some reading in the book of Matthew. I also enjoyed reading again in the Proverbs this morning before work.

I long for more of Jesus ... I love being in His presence. And I don't want that desire He has given me to wane ... I thank the Lord for the special revelations of Him in times of pain, but I want that deep, burning desire for Him to always be fresh in my heart, whether in times of trial or when everything's "going well". :)I don't want to forget Him in the "good times".

Last night I met up with a good friend from work for a time of fellowship together. We ended up spending the whole time singing worship songs and praising God and praying for one another. I was so refreshed and encouraged ... and thought of how truly nothing compares with those wonderful times of being in Jesus' presence!

P.S. Oh yeah ... in case you're wondering ... about the dentist appt. :) Things went incredibly well and very painless ... and my new dentist is sooooo nice (and close to the office). I had to laugh pretty hard when they offered me "laughing gas". They obviously don't know me that well yet, or they would know that I laugh on my own ... and don't need any help with that ... :-) (Any of y'all reading this blog could probably have told them that!) They did, however, numb my mouth, which was definitely a good thing ... :-D

No comments: