Welcome, dear friends! Here you will find an assortment of snippets and reflections ... and hopefully some encouraging quotes from people like John Piper and C.S. Lewis and ... most of all ... the Scriptures. :-) Leave a comment if you'd like - I would love to hear from you! Have a GREAT day.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

A City whose Builder and Foundations are God

"By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God." - Hebrews 11:8-10, NIV

Over the course of this summer, some of my "foundations" have been unexpectedly shaken at different times, and some even taken away. I won't lie; it has been hard and even downright painful at times, but the Lord has shown me sooooo much of Himself through it all. He has beautifully reminded me that in the storms and little challenges of life, I can fully lean on HIM as my True Foundation. Praise the Lord!

I have recently been listening to some CDs of a series taught on Isaiah 40 and have been so incredibly blessed through it. They are teachings by Nancy Leigh Demoss*, whom I can't seem to say enough good things about. :) (see below) One thing I loved that she brought out from the passage is, who can we compare God to? Nothing and no one on this earth could ever compare to Him. What wonderful, encouraging news for those moments in our lives when we feel like our foundations are being shaken around us .... especially when you couple it with Hebrews 11:8-10. :) This world is not our home. Sure, there will be pleasant moments and good times ... but in those harder seasons, how comforting and hope-giving it is to remember that we are looking forward to a lasting city*, whose builder and maker is God. HE is our foundation. Praise the Lord! :) This fills my heart with joy, even in the hard times. He is so good!

*Her teachings have encouraged and helped me soooo much in my walk with the Lord, and I have been loaning them out to friends at work as well, so they can be encouraged! :) I can hear the love and joy of Jesus in Nancy's voice .... I know it must be so contagious to those around her. Her heart and calling are to nourish women in their walks with Jesus, our Dearest Friend. And I highly recommend her website to you, where you can listen to many of her teachings online. :)

[If you are reading this and aren't sure how you can look forward to a lasting city whose builder and architect is God Himself, I would love to tell you! Just leave a comment on this blog … I promise you, this is something you will be so glad you asked about …. You won’t regret it!]

3 comments:

banderclip said...

I'm glad the Lord has been giving you encouragement even in the hard times. Praying for you sister. :)

Braley Mama said...

And I can hear the Love of Jesus in your writing. Thank you for your encouregment to me:)

Anonymous said...

The writer of vesselsofclay.blogspot.com has written a superior article. I got your point and there is nothing to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not disagree with: Civilization is both man's greatest accomplishment and his greatest failure. I will be back.