Welcome, dear friends! Here you will find an assortment of snippets and reflections ... and hopefully some encouraging quotes from people like John Piper and C.S. Lewis and ... most of all ... the Scriptures. :-) Leave a comment if you'd like - I would love to hear from you! Have a GREAT day.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Things Jesus is Teaching Me ... Lessons from a Hurt Finger ;-)

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." - 2 Corinthians 4:16,17

This passage is one I will probably be especially clinging to over the next few weeks or so. ;-) I feel like the Lord's been teaching me so much lately ... that even in those moments where I feel physically tired and weak, He is renewing me. May He get all the glory!

I'm so happy and grateful to Him, and hope this is an encouragement to someone who could use encouragement today, as well as to any who have been praying, that the Lord is using your prayers! Now, my little "suffering" lately is NOTHING compared to the incredible amount of suffering many of our Christian brothers and sisters on the other side of the world are facing all the time for loving Jesus. At the same time, the Scriptures are packed with encouragement we all as believers can glean from in "all kinds of trials," big and small! I am so grateful for how the Lord's used trials in my and my family's lives over the past few years to draw us closer to Him.

There have been several things going on as far as physical challenges lately, such as quite a bit of aching at different times in my left shoulder and a muscle in my back, a couple of other small things, and hurting my finger pretty seriously a few weeks ago. I did find out this past week that the finger injury may have some long-term (lifetime?) effects. I am not complaining, though ... the Lord is renewing me and teaching me so much!

The finger injury happened when I was jumping onto a blob on our ministry's staff retreat. Despite the injury, I can truly say it was a wonderful weekend of fellowship and good times with people! :o) And, too, I know that with God, nothing is by accident and He can totally bring good out of my hurt finger! :) (Romans 8:28)

A co-worker brought me to the hospital the evening I injured it .... and I could tell you some pretty funny stories from our trip there and back, including trying to explain to the nurse in the ER what a blob was. (She kept thinking I must have said "log" instead. :-D) We had some pretty funny things happen that night that definitely gave us some good laughs .... if you want to hear some of the funny stories ... just ask me! :)

I am happy about how the Lord has been working in my heart and teaching me through this time. It's definitely all Him and obviously not anything in me - His Word teaches that nothing good dwells in our flesh. It's so exciting to see Him work!

I went to the doctor earlier this week for my two-week follow-up. I was eager to hear some encouraging news about my progress, but learned instead that he's now thinking the little bone that broke off in the top joint of the finger may never move back to where it should be, even with wearing the splint the maximum time (six more weeks). He said, "We'll wait and see."

Only a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have known how to handle hearing my finger may not heal back completely, but as I thought about it this week, I realized the Lord was giving me total rest about either outcome. Wow! I definitely thank Him for that. :) I know the Lord is able to pick up that bone and move it back to where it should be (and you can certainly pray for this! :))). Of course that would be my natural preference (and would certainly make life much simpler!;), but more than anything, I want HIS will in this. As much as I would love to see my finger fully recovered and restored to full function, even more than that I am prepared to accept the outcome that would most glorify Him, even if it is different from what I may have chosen.

It may seem like such a small thing, but I am just so grateful for His perspective in all this ... It's all from Him, because I'm sure that in my natural human state I would have been worried and all. :) It's wonderful to know it's in His hands and I can TRUST Him and be free from worry! :) It's all because of Him. I was so encouraged to have an opportunity to share about the Lord a little with the receptionist there on my first visit and was thinking of how that may not have happened if I hadn't hurt my finger.

Earlier this week I was talking to a friend who basically said, "Praise the Lord - if you end up needing to have a hurt finger for the rest of your life, but this doctor gets saved - what is that compared to eternity." I thought about it and knew I agreed completely... I would be more than willing to have a finger that doesn't heal 100% if it means the doctor comes to know Jesus and will be able to spend eternity in heaven (and not have to perish in hell!). Wow, what a great trade-off! :) Whether the Lord draws this doctor to Himself through him seeing a miracle in my finger, or whether He would choose to use me as a vessel in his life as I accept either outcome, either way it would be a miracle! Anytime someone comes to faith in Jesus, it is a wonderful miracle and something He brings about.****

Isn't it wonderful that as a Christian, we can't lose? Our lives are in His precious hands ... we can TRUST Him. :) And our lives are not just about us ... they're for a so much greater purpose ... for His glory and for bringing precious souls to Him. I am full of joy and want to give Him the glory for all of this ... This peace is all from HIM, and I am so grateful. Whatever you may be going through today, big or small, I hope this is in some way an encouragement to you. Anything we go through as believers is for a bigger and greater purpose ... how exciting is that?!

****[If you're not sure what this is all about, but would like to know ... I would just love to chat with you about what JEsus did for you on the Cross to redeem you, and how you can know Him personally and know for sure you will be with Him in heaven one day.... and have life take on a whole new meaning! :) It's the most important decision you'll ever make...]

2 comments:

Elicia said...

yes, this was encouraging! :)

Braley Mama said...

Hi, I am Summur Braley and am currently raising support to join you at GFA. Love your Blog!(I found it at the christoffersons website)
Very encouraging to me today.Praise the Lord for our aches that bring about His glory!